- For minor edits, you can select a node, then right-click for a list of options.
- New Node: Lets you create a new node as the last child of the selected node. You can add a label, content, or both.
- Edit: Lets you edit the label and content of the selected node.
- Label: Lets you edit the existing label or add a new one.
- Add Parent: Lets you create a new node as the parent of the selected node.
- Add Child: Same as New Node.
- Add Sibling: Add another child to parent of selected node.
- Move Up: Moves selected node up above prior sibling.
- Move Down: Moves selected node down below prior sibling.
- Indent: Indents node, which makes it a child of the sibling above.
- Unindent: Unindents node, which makes it a parent of the siblings below.
- Delete: Removes selected node and children.
- None of these minor edits can be undone. However, when you delete a node, the node and its children are saved in the Deleted Nodes File. You can copy and paste them back into your template if necessary. To access the file, click Info, then File Locations.
Editing Window for New Nodes
- An editing window pops up when you select New Node, Add Parent, Add Child, or Add Sibling. It can be expanded by dragging a corner.
- You can separate a label from its content by a colon and space or by enclosing the content in square brackets.
- Use square brackets when you have multiple paragraphs or lines of text.
- When you drag multiple paragraphs or lines of text into KwikText, the brackets are added automatically.
- For more comprehensive edits, open the Template Editor by clicking the Edit Template button.
- While the Tree View displays resources in a tree format, the Template Editor displays them in an outline format.
- In both formats, indentation indicates ownership.
- The Template Editor is a simple text editor that lets you add or delete text, copy and paste, and undo or redo.
- Because indentation controls ownership, indentation must be consistent. Siblings must all have the same number of indents for example.
- You can indent or unindent multiple contiguous lines of text by selecting them and clicking Indent or Unindent. You don't have to select the entire line, any portion will do.
- Clicking the Normalize button normalizes the text and updates the tree view to correspond with the latest changes.
- Click the Cancel button if you've made changes that you don't want to keep. Changes can be cancelled even if you've normalized them.
- Closing the Template Editor saves all changes made.
- Clicking anywhere in the Tree View closes the Template Editor and saves all changes made.
Editing Multiple Templates
- Since all templates are plain text files, you can edit them with any text editor.
- To access all the templates in your current folder, click Info, File Locations, and select Templates Folder. This will open Windows Explorer to the correct folder.
- Double-click on a file to open and edit it with Notepad, or open it with your favorite text editor.
- If you edit one or more templates outside of KwikText, that is, by using your own text editor, then after you save the files, make sure you refresh the templates inside KwikText.
- To refresh your templates, click Templates, then Refresh Templates. This will reload the templates list and the current template.
- If KwikText is closed when you edit templates, there is no need to refresh. KwikText will load the updated templates when it starts.