Tips for Adding Resources
Select a Node First, Then add Resource
- Besides using the template editor, there are three ways to add resources:
- By dragging a resource into KwikText tree view.
- By copying and pasting a resource into KwikText tree view.
- By creating a new node in KwikText tree view.
- In every case, it's important to select a node first. Then drag, paste, or create a new node.
- Since a node is already selected, you can drag or paste to anywhere in the tree view.
- The resource will be added as a child of the selected node.
Select a Node First, then Copy and Paste
- To add a resource using copy and paste, select the parent node first.
- Then copy the resource using Ctrl-C.
- Then click anywhere in the tree view, and paste using Ctrl-V.
- If you copy the resource first, then select the node, it won't work, because the resource will be overwritten as soon as you click the parent node.
Use Deselect Button to Append to End
- Click the "Deselect" button to add resources at the end of a template.
- Ordinarily, when you drag something into KwikText, it's added as a sub-node of the selected node.
- If you want to add something to the end of a template, click the Deselect button first.
To Add Resources Manually, Right-Click for Options
- In addition to dragging or pasting resources into the KwikText tree view, you can add resources manually.
- You can also make limited modifications to the tree.
- For a list of options, right click in the tree view. Then select an option.
- Options for adding nodes are:
- New Node: Manually add a new node to selected node.
- Edit: Edit the selected node, both label and content.
- Label: Add or change the label on the selected node.
- Add Parent: Manually add a parent to the selected node.
- Add Child: Manually add a child to the selected node.
- Add Sibling: Manually add a sibling to the selected node.
- Options for modifying the tree are:
- Move Up: Move the selected node up above it's sibling.
- Move Down: Move the selected node below it's sibling.
- Indent: Makes selected node a child of node above.
- Unindent: Makes selected node a sibling of the node above.
- It's easier to understand these options by just trying them out.
- Note: you can also manually add and modify resources using the template editor. Just click "Edit Template" button.
Tips for Accessing Resources
Every Selection Sends Text to Clipboard
- Every time you select a node, content is sent to the clipboard.
- You don't have to press Ctrl-C. You can just paste.
- Content is also sent to the clipboard when you type anything in the Search box.
Organize Resources the Way You Work
- There are lots of ways to organize resources. Here are a few:
- By category: For example you can put all your browsers together.
- By topic: For example, you can put all your web research related to vacations together.
- By task: You can organize resources in the order you use them.
- Ordering by task is what makes KwikText unique.
- Each resource is at your fingertips, just when you need it. You won't forget a single step.
Use Search Box for Fast Access
- As you type something in the search box, KwikText jumps to the first matching node.
- When you press Enter, KwikText opens the resource.
- This is probably the fastest way to open anything, because you only have to type a character or two.
- Order matters. It helps to place frequently used resources near the top of the tree.
- Or, add a unique one- or two-character prefix to resources you use frequently, then key in the prefix.
Use Search Box for Copy and Paste
- The search box works like smart keys in other programs.
- As you type, KwikText jumps to the first matching node.
- The content of that node is sent to the clipboard, ready for you to paste (Ctrl-V) anywhere.
- As mentioned above, order matters. So place frequently used lines or blocks of text near the top of the tree.
- Or add a unique one- or two-character prefix to blocks of text you use frequently, then just type the prefix.
Use Boolean Operators to Narrow Searches
- If you want to narrow a long list of search results, add another search term after a pair of ampersands.
- The ampersands stand for Boolean AND.
- Or add an exclamation point after the ampersands to stand for AND NOT.
- As above, when you click on an item in the search results, the content of the node is sent to the clipboard, ready for pasting.
- Or you can double-click on an item to access a web page, file, folder, software program, or utility.
- Note: Don't add spaces between && and your search terms, unless they're part of the search.
- Note: You can string multiple Boolean operators together.
- Templates are easy to share. They're plain text files with a simple format.
- You can email them, post them on a web page, or copy them from one computer to another.
Use Parenthses to Hide Tags
- Put tags and descriptions in parentheses to reduce clutter.
- You can hide them but they'll still be available for searches.
Use On Top Button when Dragging
- Select the On Top button when dragging resources.
- It won't let other windows obscure KwikText.
Change Button Labels
- If you want to change any KwikText button label, Open the translations file and make the changes.
- After you make changes, you have to restart KwikText.
- To revert back to the defaults, open the Settings window and delete the translations file.
Another Kind of Tip
- KwikText is free software and I rely on tips for income.
- If you'd like to make a donation, click the Tip Jar button for instructions.
- Many thanks to all of you.