Which Download Should I Choose?
- Once installed, both programs run exactly the same way.
- Java Version: Select the Java version if you have Java 7 or higher installed on your computer. The download file (java.jar) is only 179 KB.
- Windows Version: Select the Windows version if you don't have Java installed on your computer. The zip file (KwikTextFiles.zip) that you will be downloading is 31,536 KB. The actual program file (KwikText.exe) is 1,483 KB. The Windows version gives you the opportunity to pin a link to KwikText on your task bar. The Java version doesn't.
Installing Java for Free
- If Java is not installed on your computer, you can download and install it for free.
- I prefer starting at the Oracle Downloads page.
- You want the JRE (Java Runtime Environment), not the JDK (Java Development Kit).
- As of today, there are two versions available: Java 7 and Java 8.
- I've compiled KwikText using Java 7, but it will work with Java 8 as well.
- For Java 7, if you have a 32-bit computer, you probably want to download the Windows x86 Offline .exe file.
- If you have a 64-bit computer, you probably want to download the Windows x64 .exe file.
- Note that you have to accept Oracle's license agreement before you can download.
- Also note that Oracle often includes additional software bundled with the download. You can easily opt out of the additional products.
- If you want to install a more recent of version of Java on your computer, you can follow the instructions above.
- One note of caution: You might have an existing software program on your computer that relies on an older version of Java and won't run correctly under the newer version. I would create a system restore point on my computer before updating Java.